Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Trip to London.

Trip to London.           reply
29/10/2018 10:46 - Ask Mother Hen (Locality: Carlow)
-----------------------------------
Hi I´m looking for advice please, my 17yr (18 at Christmas) has informed me this morning that he has booked 2 nights in London for himself and his girlfriend leaving Thursday morning. He had this arranged for weeks, didn´t ask could he or discuss it with me, but nothing new there as he thinks and does whatever he wants and expects me/us to fall in with his plans. I told him I don´t want him going, aside from the fact I believe he´s too young, he didn´t ask or mention anything about it just said it this morning. My husband of course as normal won´t say anything as he always wants to be the good guy and lets him do whatever he wants part of the reason I´m sure that he booked all this without checking in the first place. His only comment this morning was "I´m not impressed"...nothing else and there won´t be anything else from him. What do I do...please advice desperately needed.

re : Trip to London.           reply
29/10/2018 17:34 - Ask Mother Hen
What age is the girlfriend? Do you know her parents reaction? How old is the relationship? Would he be experienced in travelling, able to manage?

re... : Trip to London.           reply
29/10/2018 23:14 - Ask Mother Hen
Hi. She is 16. Her mum doesn´t mind. They are dating a year. He can handle himself to a certain extent but is not what I would call "street smart".

30/10/2018 08:46 - Ask Mother Hen
16 and 17 yr old travelling to London is too young together IMO, will a hotel even check them in? However my in-law nieces/nephews have been travelling for yrs as couples/singles but they go in a gang of friends, there would always have been a 20+ couple. From 15 upwards be their ages.

30/10/2018 08:59 - Ask Mother Hen
My feelings exactly. He has travelled but always with a group. I never thought about a possibility of the hotel not letting them in.

30/10/2018 14:47 - Ask Mother Hen
I thought he would change his mind after I expressed my feelings in the matter and explaining that they are too young etc, but he hasn´t....only comment added by Dad was ´I wouldn´t do it´s... I´m physically sick worrying about what might happen and how inappropriate the whole thing is. Now I´m beginning to think I´m an ´old fogey´ for want of a better word and that I´m over reacting?

30/10/2018 15:01 - Ask Mother Hen
Hi. I have to agree with Mother Hen. They are too young to be going to London, much too young. I get the impression that you do not have much support from your partner. If he is giving the impression that he isn´t too fussed about your son going or if he is afraid to say no then I feel for you. I would be interested to see what other parents think on this.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;