Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

TSI (Tourette Support Ireland) Munster

TSI (Tourette Support Ireland) Munster           reply
14/09/2010 15:01 - Special Needs / Tutors Required (Locality: Waterford)
-----------------------------------
Is there a child in your class who you believe has Tourette Syndrome? Have you mentioned this to their parents? Many years ago my son was making unusual faces, sometimes his head/neck would jerk uncontrollably, he made funny noises and cleared his throat a lot. His teacher mentioned this to me and I could not believe it. He was doing all this at home, but we didn´t think it was happening in school. We finally asked our GP for a referral to a Neurologist as we believe he had Tourette Syndrome. His teacher had seen an article in a teacher magazine describing this often misunderstood condition. We are very grateful to her for pointing this out. He is now 22 and leading a good life and has accepted his condition. If you would like more information on this condition and you are a teacher, please contact TSI (Tourette Support Ireland) - info@tsai.ie for further details or call our helpline 087 2982356.

The official launch of Tourettes Support Munster will be held in the Silver Springs Hotel, Cork on Sunday, 19th of September 2010 starting at 2.00 p.m. It is an opportunity for parents, children and adults with TS to share information and support each other in a comfortable and non judgemental environment.

We would particularly like to invite those professionals i.e. Teachers, Social Workers, Medical Professionals who come in contact with people with TS to heighten awareness among the general community to allow them to empathise rather than sympathise with those people who have TS.

Guest speakers on the day, Tourette Support Ireland Chairperson, Carol Pitcher. Dr. Louise Connolly, Consultant Psychologist, CAMHS, City General Hospital, Cork will be there to facilitate a questions and answers session.
For more information on the group please contact 087 1702439 or email info@tsai.ie - please place “Tourettes Support Munster” in the subject line of the mail. Admission is free and there will be complimentary tea and coffee.

You too can learn how to support a child with TS in your classroom.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;