Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Starting school

re : Starting school           reply
07/09/2010 16:13 - Ask Mother Hen
-----------------------------------
Many children start school and are fine for the first few days or weeks and then the novelty wears off and there can be a change in their behaviour. This is not uncommon, however, you need to try to get to the bottom of what is happening for him and help to solve this.
My first question would be is there a chance that he is tired? It takes some time for children to settle into the routine of getting up early and going to school and the child can be very tired. Make sure that your son is going to bed early and is relaxed and going to sleep at a reasonable time.
It would also be helpful to chat to your son sometime when you are having a little time together. Ask him how he likes school, what are his friends names in the class and who does he not get on with. You may be able to get some idea of what was happening for him when he hit the boy.
Tell the teacher what you are doing and ask his/her support in helping to settle you child in. Ask him/her to keep an eye on your son and see if there is anyone bullying him or if he and this boy seem to be at odds with each other. It may be as simple as the teacher moving your son to a different place in the class to settle things down.
Remember, keep chatting to your son about school so that you can get a good idea of how things are going for him. Also, don´t panic - it takes time for all of the children in the class to settle down and it is very early days yet.
Let us know how you get on.

Starting school           reply
07/09/2010 10:30 - Ask Mother Hen
-----------------------------------
My son has just started school. The first week went well, however, this morning his teacher took me aside and told me that he was reluctant to participate in the class and hit another boy yesterday. He was at pre-school and I never had an issue like this before. She said that 1-1 he was great. I am concerned and not sure what to do.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;