Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Before School supervision

re : Before School supervision           reply
27/02/2013 21:09 - Ask Mother Hen
-----------------------------------
9.20am seems very late - why does the school not start at 8.50 or 9.00 like most schools? If the schools is not willing to supervise, they can´t really expect the bus driver to supervise.

Before School supervision           reply
25/02/2013 17:16 - Ask Mother Hen
Was wondering if Schools have any legal requirement to provide supervision in yards before school starts in the morning? Our school is in a rural area so no-one walks to the school 75% get bus and the rest by car, with over 400 children. The insurance company is telling the BOM that we need supervision of children before school starts, but the school is unwilling to do this. So they are proposing that the gates are locked till 9am or 9.20am and then once opened the children can be dropped off/get off bus and go start into class rather than yard.This is causing great concern for the Parents, just wondered whether they are allowed to do this or whether they have to provide some sort of supervision. Many Thanks in advance

re... : Before School supervision           reply
27/02/2013 21:29 - Ask Mother Hen
Hi, Shane, locally 9.15 seems to be the standard, so I guess it varies from area to area, 9 or 8.50 would suit me alot better.

re : Before School supervision           reply
26/02/2013 16:04 - Ask Mother Hen
Was wondering if Schools have any legal requirement to provide supervision in yards before school starts in the morning? *No*
Our school is in a rural area so no-one walks to the school 75% get bus and the rest by car, with over 400 children? **400? That’s a lot or a rural area school?**
The insurance company is telling the BOM that we need supervision of children before school starts, but the school is unwilling to do this. ***I have already highlighted this in multiple replies on Schooldays.ie, parents have no entitlement to a say in the school.***
So they are proposing that the gates are locked till 9am or 9.20am and then once opened the children can be dropped off/get off bus and go start into class rather than yard. **** This in my opinion is a health issue, human being were never designed to sit around all day in classrooms and the kids ought to be out running round the yard.****
This is causing great concern for the Parents, just wondered whether they are allowed to do this or whether they have to provide some sort of supervision. ***** Yes they are, see my previous answer, regarding parental say in schools*****. Many Thanks in advance
My suggested solution is forget about the school get parents together and find you own solution within the Parents. If you like to contact me, I can suggest an alternative route but is controversial and may not yield the results you want.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;