Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

6yr old dyslexic newly diagnosed also changing schools

re... : 6yr old dyslexic newly diagnosed also changing schools           reply
23/08/2009 21:35 - Ask Mother Hen
-----------------------------------
Very surprised that a psychologist would make a diagnosis at 6. They are normally very reluctant to do so. There are great prorammes out there. Work in conjunction with the Learning Support Teacher. Also get in touch with the Dyslexia Association for advice.

13/09/2013 13:15 - Ask Mother Hen
Hi
Have you tried having eyesight checked ? Log on to www.cmurrayoptician.com to discover how this can be a real benefit. Best wishes to you both.

6yr old dyslexic newly diagnosed also changing schools           reply
23/08/2009 00:37 - Ask Mother Hen (Locality: Cork)
My 6yr old son has recently been diagnosed as dyslexic. He will be in 1st class in a new school come sept (we have lived in the area for the past year and he will know some children in his class thro GAA) and i´m worried about how this will affect him. I am willing to do whatever i can to support him but i´m a bit overwhelmed at the minute over the whole thing and would really appreciate some advise on the best way forward. I have an 8yr old daughter as well who attends learning support, while she hasn´t been diagnosed as dyslexic and was assessed for it, she definately shows signs not as severe as her brother. Help please!

28/08/2009 15:48 - Ask Mother Hen
The other piece of excellent advice I saw here is about the Dyslexia Association that goldilocks recommended. I have heard great reports about it. Much depends on where you live and if there is an active branch near you.

re : 6yr old dyslexic newly diagnosed also changing schools           reply
28/08/2009 13:13 - Ask Mother Hen
The advice from Kincora is excellent! A lot of very useful tips.

I agree and would also recommend the games suggested by Kincora to help your child - in fact, you could try to get something that you can play with both your son and daughter together. This will make it more fun and also help to support your daughter. One word of caution however, 6 years old is very young for this diagnosis and try to be careful not to place too much emphasis on the news. Don´t push the games on your son and make it something that he has to do because he has a ´condition´. In fact, I don´t think I would mention it to him at all unless he brings it up. My worry is that he may become discouraged if he is told he is going to have a problem with this aspect of school and may give up too easily. Encourage him in every way you can and give him all the help you can and see how it goes.

It is vital that you talk to the teacher and, I would also suggest, the principle of the new school so that they are aware of the diagnosis. This will enable them to support him in whatever way they can and, as pointed out in an earlier reply, ensure that he is not made to feel ´stupid´ in the class.

Have him reviewed in a year or so to confirm the diagnosis - as I have said, 6 is very young so it is worth checking it when he is a little older.

The very best of luck to you and I hope your son settles in well in his new school!

23/08/2009 21:37 - Ask Mother Hen
BTW, is your little boy changing schools because of the diagnosis or because he´s going into 1st class? Be sure to show the recent report to the teacher asap to ensure your little lad gets the required help in his new school, without delay.

31/08/2009 00:18 - Ask Mother Hen
Thank you all so much for your advice its been really beneficial and has raised my confidence for the road ahead.

14/02/2010 03:50 - Ask Mother Hen
Well when i was in second grade i was diagnosed with dyslexia also, i was put in classes to "help" me but i did horrible in them, it wasn´t because they were hard but they weren´t challenging enough so i didn´t try. If i were you i would sit down with your son and help him find what he likes to do if he likes to play make a spelling game out of playing. My mom did this to help me and I´m in my senior year of high school in all honor classes with dyslexia :D. Just give him some support show him you believe that he will be find and he will do fine.

23/08/2009 16:59 - Ask Mother Hen
6 is very young for a diagnosis of dyslexia, many psychologists prefer to wait until the child is about 8.I would suggest you do work on the high frequency words, like matching games, snap etc.(google "dolch list" and you will find them If the dyslexia assoc of Ireland run a workshop near you, see if you can get him a place. If finances stretch to it a cdrom game called wordshark is excellent.

Talk to his new teacher, see if he can do less "spellings" if there is a weekly spelling test.Does he know he has dyslexia?Might be no harm to have a little chat so that he knows he´s not "stupid" as many children with dyslexia can feel. But make sure he does not see it as an excuse.

Omegaoils could also be a big help if he will take them regularly. Make sue the school have a copy of his report, sadly children with dyslexia do not get resource hours anymore but he should get learning support.

Best of luck to you both.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;