Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

talk on drugs, any advice

re... : talk on drugs, any advice           reply
17/10/2011 13:33 - Parents Associations
-----------------------------------
Hi,
I give talks in schools on general parenting issues but not on drugs. Generally it is a local Garda or youth services counsellor who gives those talks. There is also a site www.drugs.ie which may be able to help.
Generally I advise that if your teenager wants to talk to you about sex, drugs, alcohol or other issues, try to make sure that you understand and are aware of what the issues are. Get information on drugs – what are the various types, what is the common or ‘street’ name for these, what are the dangers and so on. The same is true for internet safety, alcohol and sex. If your teenager does want to discuss issues that they are facing, then isn’t it much better if they can discuss it with someone who is aware of the subject and how it is presented to them? Your local GP, health clinic or community centre should have information leaflets available. You can also check out sites such as www.Drugs.ie or www.Spunout.ie for more information.
I hope this helps!

re : talk on drugs, any advice           reply
14/10/2011 22:56 - Parents Associations
We got the local Gardai in to speak to the children in our primary school and also a talk was given to the parents one evening. It was very successful.

talk on drugs, any advice           reply
26/09/2011 10:18 - Parents Associations
hi am chairperson of 2ndry school in tipp, and for agm i want to either get someone in to talk on drugs, any idea who or where i would get someone?
also john lonergan is great speaker, where could i get in touch with him?
thanks

discussion forum terms & conditions

;