Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

school plan

re : school plan           reply
23/07/2012 11:42 - Parents Associations
-----------------------------------
No - no involvement after four years in the school.
In fact, I´ve never seen the school plan. It´s not available on the website and hasn´t been circulated to parents, or to Board of Management members.
Lots of schools really haven´t got to grips with parental consultation and involvement yet.

re... : school plan           reply
28/07/2012 20:53 - Parents Associations
You´re right Ted - it is a complex issue. I don´t there is really a whole lot of traffic on this forum, so I´m not sure that you´ll get a great response to your survey here. You might want to try getting the NPC or some other large body behind your survey, to bump up the numbers.
I don´t think there is a real ´conspiracy´ going on here. But there is a sense of ´but sure that´s the way we always do things round here´. There is little enthusiasm to change and move on to meaningful engagement with parents.
The NPC conference this year did look at this topic in some detail. They had a great speaker from Scotland talking about a successful programme over there. They had a very interesting presentation from the head of the Irish Primary Principals Network talking about ways that parents can be actively engaged within the classroom. Unfortunately, they haven´t got the videos of these presentations up on their website yet. If you give them a shout, they might be able to release the presentation slides to you.

school plan           reply
09/07/2012 14:05 - Parents Associations
I have being highlighting the lack of say Parents have in Schools, in particularly, National Schools. However, the School Inspectorate informs me that "The Education Act (1998) describes a number of rights held by parents in regard to access to information, including involvement in the preparation of the school plan."

I presently don´t know any parent, any where who has been involved with a preparation of a school plan. I would greatly appreciate it if you have been invited to be involved with creating a school plan or you haven´t can you please let me know.
By posting a reply yes (we were involved with a school plan) or no (we weren´t involved with a school plan), Thanks

23/07/2012 14:56 - Parents Associations
Thanks for your comments Shane, but is quite a complex issue. In that, as I perceive it there is collusion with the Board of Management, Teachers and the National School Inspectorate to imply that the situation is that parents are encouraged and participate within National Schools. I presently I am trying to determine whether my assumption is correct, that most or even a significant number of National Schools exclude parent participation or not. If I am incorrect I will have to apologies to the head of the National School Inspectorate, however, if correct.... will create an interesting outcome.
Plus, I would refer you to the last school inspection of the National School your children attend and see if the Inspectorate highlighted the involvement of parents or not!

23/07/2012 12:29 - Parents Associations
I have created the below is a link to an online survey when I can get a number of schools I will sent back the results to the National School Inspectorate.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?fromEmail=true&formkey=dG5Ja0ZzM0xMczNrdUZrdHM3bVYzR3c6MQ
Parental Participation in National Schools Survey

discussion forum terms & conditions

;