Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Secondary School Schoolbags

re : Secondary School Schoolbags           reply
09/06/2011 11:58 - Schoolbooks / Uniforms
-----------------------------------
The weight of school bags is no doubt something that seriously needs to be addressed. I know because I am a student with back problems due to school.
Compulsory wheelie bags would certainly be a start but, I find they always make you lean over, causing a strain in the neck. If there was a way, I would like to see a total reduction in the amount of school books needed. Also, I wish all schools would allow students go to their lockers at all times.
Another cause of back problems with students is the tables and chairs, they are so bad! New schools are getting these blue slightly better chairs but the usual ones are so bad!

re... : Secondary School Schoolbags           reply
17/02/2011 19:54 - Schoolbooks / Uniforms
I understand completly especially in to days world were if a child dosent have the right shoes clothes bag they dont fit in but i feel maybe they should have the books in the school for the kids and give out copys for homework at least the kids backs wont be broken its ridiculas that this is happening to them the bags get heavier every year the poor kids also if every one had the same uniform same bags then no body would be singled out

30/09/2010 10:23 - Schoolbooks / Uniforms
yes i totally agree it would be a great idea if they did make the wheely bags part of the uniform then no children would be singled out its ridiculas that the children have to carry those bags im nearly sure in other countries the bags are not so heavy is there any thing that could be done

14/09/2010 14:33 - Schoolbooks / Uniforms
Hi momof2 thanks for your reply. Tried that before with my boys but the notes highlighted in the "school" copy were always different to the "home" copy so studynotes were never the same.

Will have to keep try to start a new fashion. I know in schools in Spain and Germany these bags are standard uniform. Irish school wake up!

21/10/2013 12:37 - Schoolbooks / Uniforms
To update my previous postings on this subject, presently my daughter is undertaking a study to find out the most effective way of addressing this issue. It has been submitted into the young scientist competition and if successful, I hope she will highlight the issues round weight of bags.

23/06/2011 23:43 - Schoolbooks / Uniforms
i understand how u feel is rediculus that children here are carrying these heavy bags is there some thing that can be done im interested let us no more because i have spoken to a lot of people about this they feel the same as i do hope to hear from u soon

02/02/2011 21:48 - Schoolbooks / Uniforms
Hi arteach,
School uniforms are compulsory, so it´s just a matter of convincing Boards of Management that the school bag is part of the uniform. If someone could start a new fashion as a pilot I would be interested in promoting same.
Any takers?

02/02/2011 15:30 - Schoolbooks / Uniforms
Now this is a great idea. However, I remember when I was in school that the type and look of your schoolbag was important too, wanted to look cool, you know, when you want to wear converse trainers but instead have to wear horrible sensible shoes

However, I also remember severe pain in my shoulder from lugging home my heavy bag. I used to walk the half hour to and from school to get some exercise with a friend and by the end would be in bits.

I never thought of bags on wheels, but someone clever could make a lot of money selling them, particularly if someone in authority made it mandatory for kids not to have to lug a 2 stone schoolbag there and back every day.

Secondary School Schoolbags           reply
14/09/2010 11:11 - Schoolbooks / Uniforms (Locality: Dublin West)
I would like to know what we as parents can do to encourage secondary school students to bring "wheelie bags" to school rather than backpacks. I have backpain myself which began when I was in Secondary School - many years ago. I am only too aware of the weight that students have to carry to school. Have had 2 boys through the process and they both have bad posture. My daughter has just started Sec. School this year and I can´t even lift the bag. She comes home at lunch time and makes good use of her locker but I still find myself driving her to school on days she may have to stay in because of sports during lunch time. As adults in the workplace are very aware of health and safety regarding lifting heavy weights, I can only surmise that the reason this is not an issue is that young students have no voice. Perhaps the NPC could address this. I believe if students had to do a project in SPHE on the effects of carrying heavy weights over a long period of time (six years is long) they might change the mindset of "wheelie bags" being "cool" rather than "nerdy"! Perhaps Parents´ Assoc should take up the challenge and make "wheelie bags" a compulsory item like school uniforms. If parents and students don´t do something soon, we are going to be a nation of humpy adults with the obvious health risks. Anyone interested in starting a national campaign?

14/09/2010 12:37 - Schoolbooks / Uniforms
I think you´ve hit the nail on the head songbird when you mention the issue of trying to persuade the students that wheelie bags are ´cool´ rather than ´nerdy´. Tried to persuade my secondary school daughter to have a wheelie bag this year to help with the weight and I might as well have been talking to the wall - denfinitely not ´cool´ at second level but was fine when she had one at primary level. In the end I splashed out on some cheap additional second hand copies of some of the heavier books so that she didn´t have to bring so many books home regularly. Mad I know but thought it was better than her damaging her back as she is very slight.

22/11/2011 16:12 - Schoolbooks / Uniforms
Go onto Facebook page "lighten the schoolbags" and please add any suggestions you have there.
Ted Bradley, Ballyhea, Charleville, Co. Cork

discussion forum terms & conditions

;