Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Primary Schools in Galway City East

Primary Schools in Galway City East           reply
01/03/2010 21:38 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures (Locality: Galway)
-----------------------------------
Our son will be starting primary school in September 2011. Can anyone give any feedback/experiences/opinions on any of the following schools please:

1. Brierhill National School in Castlegar
2. Gaelscoil Dara in Renmore
3. Scoil Caitriona in Renmore

re... : Primary Schools in Galway City East           reply
10/03/2010 19:00 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Hello again, your welcome for the reply. No problem, I am looking for information on Gaelscoileanna in Dublin so I understand your position. As far as difficulties in the child´s English and Maths, I don´t see how the Irish would have a negative impact at all. I only speak English to my daughter as I don´t have any Irish at all and it isn´t a problem. In fact, she teaches me some words! I also teach her maths at home, in English, but as she doesn´t learn it in school yet, so far there´s no problem. In general, as far as I know, parents don´t have a lot of Irish and it doesn´t seem to cause problems. My own father was educated through Irish and spoke only English at home and it was never a problem. He can now speak fluent Irish as well as English! As for the lack of uniform, that doesn´t pose any problems either as everyone is in the same position! I hope this is of some help to you and best of luck in choosing a school. If I can be of further assistance to you please don´t hesitate to ask.

re... : Primary Schools in Galway City East           reply
08/03/2010 21:29 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Thanks a million for your reply, Ethna. Nice to get feedback on one of the schools.
I´ve heard positive things about Gaelscoil Dara but also some negative things e.g. no uniform.
I wonder does Gaelscoileanna work for a child if both parents have very little Irish? Also, do you know if it´s true that it can have a negative impact on a child´s English and Maths in preparation for secondary school?

re : Primary Schools in Galway City East           reply
08/03/2010 20:07 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
My daughter currently attends Jr Infants in Gaelscoil Dara and it is a lovely school. I would highly recommend it to you for your son. The staff are lovely, friendly and approachable and the teaching method is fun and obviously educational for the children. They also have extra curricular activities like Irish dancing and gymnastics even for the juniors. It´s brilliant, I cannot recommend it enough to you. I don´t know anything about the other schools you mentioned. Good Luck!

discussion forum terms & conditions

;