Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Multi-Denominational??

re : Multi-Denominational??           reply
14/10/2010 08:26 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
-----------------------------------
Check out the Educate Together website - this should give you more information. They include education about many different belief systems as part of the curriculum and encourage a philosophy of inclusion, regardless of your beliefs.

re... : Multi-Denominational??           reply
18/08/2010 16:27 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Hi

Some of that information is not really correct.

- "Community and comprehensive schools don´t have any particular denomination" - This is not true. Many / most are linked to either the RC Church or the Church of Ireland (e.g. Newpark and Mount Temple).

- (apart from learning religion which is exactly the same in every school) - No, it´s not. The teaching of religion in any faith based school is linked to the faith of the school´s patron. RC schools do not teach the same religion as CofI schools. In primary schools you can opt for an Educate Together school which will teach about many religions but will not give religious instruction. This option is not available in secondary schools yet.

- Schools attitude to religious instruction varies consderably and if you have strong feelings on the issue you should find out what the schools near you do. Some people DO care if their children are forced to say daily prayers that are part of a faith to which they do not subscribe.

Diarmaid

29/08/2010 20:47 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
In response to Diarmaid, what I meant by "not having a particular denomination" was that some such schools have a very loose emphasis on religion and might have "generic" religious services, I apologise my statement came out incorrectly there. Primary schools certainly are connected to their religion but in secondary schools, there is a set curriculum. I think you misinterpreted the bit about prayers and services. What I said was that a school would NOT make a child practise a religion that they do not belong to.

And in respose to Anomaly: Educate Together wish to set up secondary schools but it looks like it will be some time before that happens. I would agree that co-ed is better. There are many of them around. The number of single sex/co-ed schools really seems to depend on your area. As some schools have more of an emphasis on religion than others, I would check out schools and ask around as to which ones place less emphasis on their religion and are more open to many denominations.
I hope you find a school for your daughter soon that suits. Good luck. :)

18/08/2010 14:45 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Most schools even if they do have, say, a catholic ethos, are not very religious. Community and comprehensive schools don´t have any particular denomination. Many have a very loose Christian denomination but it doesn´t mean anything. Most schools whether nonD or multiD are pretty much the same - school and religion (apart from learning religion which is exactly the same in every school) don´t really have anything to do with each other anymore and in most cases it won´t make any difference what school you go to just some might have the odd prayer service but that depends on the individual school. Personally I wouldn´t care, it´s not as if any school is going to force kids to say the rosary every day in this day & age.

20/04/2010 09:23 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Hi

The multi-denominational primary schools operated by Educate Together ( http://www.educatetogether.ie/ ) welcome students of all religions and none. Students are taught ABOUT many religions but no faith formation classes occur within school hours. The ET website contains detailed information on the schools and their locations.

At present there are no Educate Together secondary schools but an active campaign for these is in process - more details are on the website.

Diarmaid

19/08/2010 10:35 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Hi. There are also new second-level community colleges that are run by the VEC and which are non-designated as regards religious patronage, they have boards that represent their local community and they too welcome students of all religions and none. There are also a number of new community national schools that provide entirely for multi-faith education and none. The only difference with Educate Together is that ET will not cater for any religious formation inside school hours for any denomination (which many parents would actually like within a multi-denominational environment). The more state run multi-denominational schools that are establsihed the better, but the rush to secular schools is not the answer.

19/08/2010 11:26 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Good Morning,

Thank you for all your responses!

The concern for me is that my daughter will be starting Secondary school next year when we move to Galway. She has been brought up Pagan, and though she knows a *little* bit about Catholicism (since that´s what the rest of our family practices), I´m afraid that she would feel disconnected from her peers if she attends a Christian denominational school.

From talking to friends who grew up in Galway, the Education Department, AND visiting actual schools there, I learned that in Primary schools, just as Diarmuid also pointed out, the children are taught the religion belonging to the church that runs it, AND the children are even expected to go through First Communion and Confirmation-- which really would not be acceptable for families who are of non-christian faiths.

My last trip to Ireland in June taught me at least that though there are no VC´s or other fully non-denominational secondary schools in Ireland, the children are taught WORLD religions, and are not expected to practice or study just Christianity -- which I absolutely support and love the idea!

Now, the trouble is getting her into some of these "Exclusive" Co-Educational schools... :) It seems to me that the majority of schools are either all-boys or all-girls... which, I´m sure, have their own merits, but I think it´s healthier for my daughter to be "mingled" considering that´s what she´s been brought up with (and, realistically, that´s how the ´real-world´ operates).

Thank you all again for your help!! :)

Multi-Denominational??           reply
15/04/2010 15:08 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Am I right to assume that the term, "multi-denominational schools" doesn´t necessarily mean non-denominational, or that they also consider non-christian students??

Are there ANY non-religious secondary schools in Ireland??

Thank you,

13/10/2010 23:03 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
The only real muti-denominational school I can think of is Stratford College in Rathgar. It´s ethos is Jewish which turns most people off as they think you have to be Jewish to go there but the only thing Jewish about the school is its history and patronage. Hebrew and prayers are offered to the Jewish students outside of school time. So for the rest of the students (95% of them) there is no religious instruction of any kind. All faiths and non-religious are accepted. It´s also a co-ed school. There´s a really warm atmosphere in the school due to its size and child centered approach.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;