Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Montessori Qualifications

Montessori Qualifications           reply
29/01/2010 22:55 - Pre-school / Montessori (Locality: Kerry)
-----------------------------------
Hello all,
I am new to this website but have read previous postings re Montessori with interest as I am currently exploring same. I understand that the ´brand´ Montessori was never patented (if I can put it that way), hence the proliferation of courses, and am confused as to what the best courses are. A full-time course such as those offered by the AMI or St Nicholas´ College is not an option for me as I don´t live in Dublin (is it really vital to be AMI recognised?) - instead I am looking at the Montessori Education Centre´s outreach/distance learning courses (hope it´s ok to name, new to this!). I have no experience in the field apart from my own 5 under 7 year olds (!) so it is a big decision to invest time and money even in a part-time course. Particularly as I am on a career break from a permanent teaching job, yes, I DO realise how fortunate I am!
I have been told by some Montessori teachers that some diplomas are better regarded than others, though as the sector seems to be unregulated I don´t understand why this should be so.
If I were to achieve a qualification in the area my next goal would be to gain enough experience and confidence to set up my own school. Does anyone have any advice as to how easy/difficult this is, how long a road this might be? Or am I mad to even try?
Thank you for taking the time to read this...

re : Montessori Qualifications           reply
10/03/2011 00:01 - Pre-school / Montessori
-----------------------------------
Hi i am currently attending M.E.C and i am doing the distance montessori.I can not speak highly enough of it! It really is well worth the investment!I travel to the college for the workshops and find the tutors really lovely and helpful.I plan to open my own school at some stage i have been an assistant for 1 1/2 yrs and that has given me a great understanding along with the diploma so i would be fairly happy to open my own place.There is an awful lot of work and planning etc to do though so look into it carefully first.All the best and i hope it works out for you!Montessori is invaluable to children long may it educate our little ones!

discussion forum terms & conditions

;