Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Help!!! How much do I pay a childminder?

re : Help!!! How much do I pay a childminder?           reply
23/06/2010 15:44 - Pre-school / Montessori
-----------------------------------
Hi there,
I´m in Meath and just organised a childminder for my infant. I asked the lady what she charged and she quoted me €20 a day!! She´s not qualified but she´s a mum of 4 and I know her through a friend so I know she´ll be reliable. I know in my area the going rate is €20 - €35 a day. My friends are paying €30 and €35 a day respectively and this would be up around the higher end of it. So yes, I think you are DEFINITELY being ripped off! Ask for a daily rate as opposed to an hourly one, and I wouldn´t be shy about pointing out that given the climate and the fact that it will be tax free etc they´ll be getting a nice little deal! Also during school terms they´ll only have short hours.

13/07/2010 14:21 - Pre-school / Montessori
I´m in Dublin and the cheapest quote I had was 10euro per hour too! Couldn´t afford it so got an au pair instead. I jobshare but have to do four days per week. I was going to cost me minimum 340per week so just couldn´t do it

29/07/2010 19:01 - Pre-school / Montessori
I have a fantastic childminder for my son who she has been minding for 2 years. my son turns 3 in september. my childminder sets her own rates. 30 euro for half day and 60 euro for a full day. this is County Cork. as this is her own business she is entitled to earn a living. also she is fully qualified and extremely experienced. she also minds other children in her home. i would never consider an aupair for my son as the au-pair is supposed to be SUPERVISED at all time by the child´s primary carer. an au-pair is usually a teen-ager and unqualified and can only work a 25 - 30 hour week which leaves plenty of free time to learn english! also i think the responsibility can be too much for an au-pair to to take on. a fully qualified nanny would be a better option but she will charge 550-750 euro per week!

re... : Help!!! How much do I pay a childminder?           reply
31/07/2010 09:58 - Pre-school / Montessori
An au pair does not have to be an unqualified teenager just out to learn English. It is a young person looking to experience a new culture by living with a family and in return fullfilling the tasks agreed by both parties for a small fee. My girl was 23 and her previous job was as a care assistant in a home for troubled boys, she is Canadian and fully fluent in English, she held a Bachelor of Arts. She became like one of the family. I never had to go through the upset of getting my boys out in morning, they were rarely upset when I left as they were in their own familiar surroundings. Fine, its not for everyone but you can´t knock it without knowing the reality of it. For me it worked out great and more importantly, for her it worked out great too.

07/07/2010 16:48 - Pre-school / Montessori
hi there
im based in mayo and charge a daily rate of €27 per day and this includes all meals etc.. all you have to supply is the child..
please bear in mind not all childminders are working cash-in-hand. i pay all my taxes and can supply receipts as many childminders can and do

23/06/2010 15:52 - Pre-school / Montessori
Phewww! Thanks for your reply!

Help!!! How much do I pay a childminder?           reply
23/06/2010 13:00 - Pre-school / Montessori (Locality: Meath)
Hopefully somebody can help me out. I am searching for a childminder for my 4 year old. I have been advertising for someone for after school pick up and full time in the school breaks. So far I´ve been asked for €10-€12 per hour. In the summer that could be more than €2,000pm. I can´t affort this at all and it´s 4 times as much as the local creche. Everyone quoting me is not qualified and not paying tax/prsi etc. Is this too much??? If it is then how much is fair for both of us? We live in Meath. Thank you!

discussion forum terms & conditions

;