Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Children lying

re : Children lying           reply
03/03/2010 18:07 - Behaviour / Discipline
-----------------------------------
There is an emotional reason behind every behaviour. This sounds like a cry for help. Perhaps spend more time getting down on the floor doing activities with the child, gaining their trust and using the opportunity to listen to them without comment, just reflecting back and validating what they say. They may then be able to open up more about their feelings so you can get some understanding as to why they have the need to behave like this. They may then have less need to do negative stuff to get attention. Good luck.

re... : Children lying           reply
08/06/2011 17:23 - Behaviour / Discipline
Pasty, I know it is hard to accept when a child lies, but I guess they are just not perfect (like ourselves!). I´ve always seemed to hear from talks about parenting teens that to keep a positive relationship with them is the most important thing of all - it has helped me through some tough times. And also not to take it personally or be hurt - their job at this age is to reject us and our control, be their own person, and start making their own decisions - I´m sure you´re aware by now anyway that expecting obedience is not an option when they start to become an adult! I found all of this useful, though I still sometimes get mad and also struggle with the "after all I´ve done for him, how he treats me" syndrome too! I would say lying is not the worst thing they could do at this age!

re... : Children lying           reply
10/10/2011 22:20 - Behaviour / Discipline
what about when they lie, get away with it and keep lying, how can we keep a trusted relationship there. it would have to be approached at some time

re : Children lying           reply
04/06/2011 22:39 - Behaviour / Discipline
my son is 13 and he still lies about the most stupid things that lead to him been grounded or favourite things been removed .. its heart breaking because all u do is try ur best and it hurts when they throw it back in ur face

Children lying           reply
18/02/2010 14:24 - Behaviour / Discipline (Locality: Laois)
Any ideas on what to do with children who are persistant liars, making up stories leading to allegations against others. How do you deal with it.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;