Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

9yr old boy hates school.

re... : 9yr old boy hates school.           reply
15/09/2008 16:14 - Behaviour / Discipline
-----------------------------------
It has been a while since I was on here but when I got the message about "children hating school" I felt I had to reply. I am now Certified Lifeskills Consultant and teach people how to feel better about themselves, to handle stress and to change their thinking to more healthy perspectives. I use techniques to calm the body, for better focus and to build self esteem. It is sad that most of my adult clients have been severely affected by schools that used corporal punishment, belittling attitudes and behaviours as well as bullying tactics to create oppressive, guilt ridden cultures that suppress confidence. I hope parents these days will thoroughly and actively check the schools they send their children to on an on-going basis and firmly but co-operatively indicate their expectations. As an active parent I know it is not easy to stand up and be different but it makes all the difference to your child´s development. I was not very popular with other parents for daring to question how things were always done but I gained the respect and co-operation of the school and saw the fruits of my labour as good policies and practices were adopted. My child now copes very well as I set her an example of how to set her boundaries. I know she can confidently express what her needs are and I also know she will not tolerate aggression and condemnation. I also believe that when she feels overburdened she will open up and know a solution is available. If we could get Lifeskills into schools for staff it would make all the difference as the job they do is highly demanding and stressful which accounts for the situations described. All the best,
frances@lifeskillspractitioner.com

re : 9yr old boy hates school.           reply
11/01/2007 21:31 - Behaviour / Discipline
It seems strange liza that there is such a contradiction between his behaviour at home and at school. It certainly suggests that there is some kind of trigger to his behaviour in school. Does he have any good friends in school or is he a loner. Have his teachers given you any advice or insight in to how to resolve the issue?

22/01/2007 12:29 - Behaviour / Discipline
Lisa,

This is a dreadful situation for you all. I wonder if you have ever thought of home eduacting your son. It is an option I know suits some of my own friends. If you need any further information let me know on francesbarrone@eircom.net

All the best,

Frances

9yr old boy hates school.           reply
07/01/2007 10:41 - Behaviour / Discipline
My son is 9 and he has been a problem in school since the start. His behaviour is bad in school, the things he does in school amaze me. He is a very loving caring child most of the time at home. He adores his younger sister, and is very gentle with younger children. I have tried everything to get him to behave i´ve even given up childminding at home so that i can spend more time with him and his homework. Things improve for a while then he starts his bad behaviour again. It really stresses me out as i know he is alot cleverer than the than his poor results he hands in. He must be the most imatature boy in class, i also worry about what the other parents must think of me. If anyone has any advice please help.

08/01/2007 16:28 - Behaviour / Discipline
Hi Liza
Sounds like you´re having a tough time. Wish I had some easy solutions for you. Presumably you´ve met with his teacher and Principal to try and get to the bottom of the problem. It could also be useful to talk to the parents of your son´s friends in school to see if they can find out (in a round about way) from their kids if there is anything that is triggering your son´s behaviour at school, i.e is another child picking on him. Has your son given you any reason in particular why he hates school - is he asking to move school?

03/03/2010 18:00 - Behaviour / Discipline
Homemom, sorry you are feeling so bad, but I was thinking that child development people do say there is always a reason behind every behaviour that makes sense from the point of view of the child. Lots of children hate school and I feel really sorry for them - why should they like it??? Very often they are not treated with respect and they do not experience child-centred learning. I hope you can keep faith with your son and give him all the support and love he needs to find his way through what is clearly a difficult situation for him - maybe just by listening to him until he has enough trust to tell you about what is going wrong for him in school and letting him know that you are willing to understand. I do think a parenting coach could be good for you to talk to to find out how you can best support your son to make positive change in his life and deal with whatever situation he is facing in school. Best of luck!

re... : 9yr old boy hates school.           reply
25/01/2007 22:27 - Behaviour / Discipline
Hi sorry for not replying sooner we´ve all had flu. My son spent two years in one school and it wasn´t a great school his teacher was young and inexperienced, she didn´t know how to handle the over active boys, ie. my son and 1 or 2 others in class. one time she wrote on his page were he had drawn a pic "this is a bad effort" and another time she wrote" i do not like this pic" he was 4 at the time. So i think that is where his dislike stems from. After a lot of consideration i changed him and he is now in a very good school, but he thinks "just change school i don´t like this one anymore! His teacher has him on a report sheet and there seems to be more good days than bad i just hope he starts to behave as i feel education is the key to life.

13/09/2008 23:44 - Behaviour / Discipline
i´d love to know how you fared with your son. My son had a similar happening with his school Principal, we too have cancer in the family and a recent bereavment. I went down the psychologist route and i´m not sure it was any help. i did homeschooling with him for past six months but feel he would like to go to school. i am now looking for a small school that suits him. My advise to you is to do the same, that principal can have a very bad effect on your son´s confidence and self esteem.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;