Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

3rd year place needed for boy

3rd year place needed for boy           reply
19/04/2007 10:18 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
-----------------------------------
hi, Just found out moving to sandyford next month and need a school place for my son (going into 3rd year sept 07), not highly academic but holds his own , likes sport. Coming from Castleknock. would prefere all boy school.
Rang a couple within comuting distance (ie. luas/bus) but not very successful . been told to apply to st. tiernans Balally, anyone know of its track record and status with other parents (Ie What type of student does it suit? What is its catchment area? how many attend third level? etc ). tried Rockbrook, St.Marys, even Blackrock, Wont take him in on exam year. getting worried,

re... : 3rd year place needed for boy           reply
23/04/2007 19:08 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
I don´t envy you your dilemma anxious mom. Somewhere in the recesses of my brain I had this vague idea that if you move house into a new catchment area, the secondary schools (not the private ones) within your catchment had an obligation to offer a place to your children - probably wrong about this but it might be worth checking your entitlements in this regard with the Dept of Ed - just a thought. Hope you get sorted.

23/04/2007 18:16 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
thanks magic
did try Ballinter and colm cille no joy not in catchment area. also just been told no joy from templeogue college in todays post. really getting worried now, seriously thinking of boarding school now. Hell moving house is stressful enough without this hassle. Seriously considering a boarding school anywhere in Ireland. anyone with advice please ?

25/04/2007 14:01 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
hi orla
i had same belief as you. ie if your in catchment area your local school must take the child in question. unfortunatly sandyford has no second level school its self and none in the surrounding areas knows to which it belongs. The schools in surrounding area are telling me that as long as my son has a place in a school they are not obliged to offer me an alternative despite his existing school is totally un commutable (other side of city) also the schools are saying that they will not take in new pupils during an exam year or during a cycle ie. entry only in 1st or 5th year. getting more and more worried cant pull out of move as contracts are signed sealed and ready to go for closing within next few days.

re : 3rd year place needed for boy           reply
21/04/2007 21:29 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Did you try Ballinteer Community School???
Not to far from Sandyford

discussion forum terms & conditions

;